9 January 2016

My Birthday Look

A few days ago it was my birthday, and I donned this outfit for a photo session to mark the occasion, on what was possibly the windiest day of the entire year! Shortly after these pictures were taken, it was raining heavily and the wind was howling and wreaking havoc, so I was lucky to capture the images when I did, and get back indoors before it got really dark and stormy. As my birthday takes place in winter, I have to choose something warm to wear, without compromising on style. This jumper, with its colourful kokeshi doll print, was the ideal choice and always feels super comfortable. You may recall it from this earlier post (Left my Heart in Tokyo). I completed the look with my faux fur coat, which has been a saviour this season, tiger stud earrings, and an oversized handbag with a subtle animal print. Luckily, I got through the photo session and my trusty tripod stayed upright despite the gusty conditions (thanks Velbon!).

My birthday itself was a working day. However, I went to the cinema on a different day for a matinee screening, which has become something of a birthday tradition. I was keen to see Carol, starring Cate Blanchett and Rooney Mara, and had read lots of good things about the period costumes. Well the film was superb and very striking visually, with lots of beautiful vintage looks from the 1950s, which were painstakingly and accurately recreated by triple Academy Award-winning costume designer Sandy Powell. The fashion is an essential part of creating the characters in the film and telling the story, to dazzling effect. I'm excited to see what Cate and Rooney will choose to wear at the Golden Globes, and their contrasting red carpet styles.

Of all the things I received for my birthday, my favourite gift was a small handmade cushion, with my name embroidered across it. I would love to know your thoughts on my birthday look. You can also see my birthday post from last year here (All Grown Up in Leopard Print - My Birthday Outfit).

Happy Saturday to all my readers!

Jumper - Joy
Coat - Oasis 
Bag - Voodoo Vixen
Tiger stud earrings - Sainsbury's (similar)
Sunglasses - T.K Maxx (similar)
Related posts

24 comments:

  1. It sounds like you had a Happy Birthday... I like your outfit, you look so pretty xox

    Thank you for your very kind and sweet comment on my blog...if we don't forgive it impares us more than the other person xox ♡

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Launna!

      Thanks so much for dropping by, and for your lovely comment. I'm really glad you like my outfit!

      It's a pleasure to visit your blog and read your insights.

      Have a fab day!

      Saba x

      Delete
  2. Happy Birthday, Saba! Love your birthday look. I really like how you paired that cute and playful jumper with a faux fur coat.
    www.sublimecravings.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mikayla for visiting my blog, and for your super-sweet comment. I'm really glad you like the kokeshi doll jumper and faux fur coat. The jumper always cheers me up!

      Best wishes,

      Saba x

      Delete
  3. Happy birthday! I like this outfit. And I definitely agree with you about costume design in movies, it's very important part.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Eliza! Thank you for visiting my blog and for your super-sweet comment. I'm really glad you like my birthday look. It's true, costume design really is an integral part of any film, and can evoke a mood and help to define the characters.

      Xx

      Delete
  4. Loving how comfortable your birthday look is, Saba! I hate it when birthdays fall on working days! I don't celebrate my birthdays, but I'd like to stay at home and enjoy it, haha. I hope you had a lovely one!

    May x | THEMAYDEN.COM | bloglovin'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much May! I'm so glad you like the look. Comfort is key, especially in winter time! Thank you for your birthday wishes! I hope you get the chance to celebrate yours, in a manner of your choosing. :)

      Xx

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Thank you so much Kim! It keeps me very cosy.

      x

      Delete
  6. I love your coat so much ♥
    tipscapsule.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love that cute sweater you're wearing! I hate working on my b'day! but I'm glad you put aside time to celebrate your special day! Happy belated! xx

    www.crystalchiffon.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Angela, that's really sweet of you! I'm really glad you like the jumper!

      Xx

      Delete
  8. You are looking really nice in this outfit dear and I hope you had a big birthday blast. I am also going to have best holiday party at one of the best restaurant nearby my place and I hope it will turn out to be a perfect day.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That sweater is really cute! Happy belated Birthday!

    Raindrops of Sapphire

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Lorna! That's very sweet of you!

      Xx

      Delete
  10. Just stopping by to wish you a happy weekend!

    Raindrops of Sapphire

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Lorna! I hope you're having a fabulous weekend as well!

      Xx

      Delete